The daily chronicle of my family as we embark on our quest to relocate from New York to Cairo... the impending journey to get there and the daily lives of myself, my husband and our four children... and other random thoughts while living in Cairo!

Looking to make contact with other Muslimahs who are like myself with small children living or will be living in a foreign country.

I invite you to share the experience with us as we try to make this happen!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

How time flies....


My best girlfriend who recently moved to Saudi is currently visiting Cairo and we were chatting today about how fast time flies... on this same day, one year ago, we boarded Egypt Air from New York to Cairo- her and her youngest daughter and me and my two little terrors... with intentions on having a blast! Just a getaway, to take care of somethings for herself and me, to confirm my intentions (again) as to whether I really wanted to make that move. We had a trip planned to Hurgada when we were finished with shopping, shopping and did I mention shopping? lol

But things didn't exactly work out that way in the end- we had to cut our trip short after about 9 days as she had a very serious illness in her family. And on the night before we left, I had to have a frap from their Costa Coffee house in Al Rehab... it was raining and instead of me walking which seemed like a 1/4 of a mile (wasn't) I decided to cross a very wet wooden bridge which extended across a very elaborate water fall display... so guess what happened next? I went up the steep bridge okay but with having on high heeled boots, on the steep decline down, my feet began to slip... so I started to run-walk to avoid slipping... and all of a sudden, I couldn't stop! So, I had to think quick as I knew I was going to fall but definitely didn't want to fall on my stomach since I was 2 months pregnant and just a little paranoid (I had 2 miscarriages before that pregnancy) so I decided to brace my feet when I came to the end of the bridge so I ended up in a "arched cat stance"- when that happened, I heard three VERY loud snaps.... I couldn't walk! I managed to get up, limp to the coffee house (still had to get that drink... hey, I was pregnant!) and as I was standing there, I could feel my right ankle start to balloon up so big my boot felt tight around my ankle. Trying not to panic, I wasn't sure if it was broken as the pain was unbearable but I held it in like a trooper (helps to have a high pain tolerance...) and made it back to my hired car. The driver asked me what happened, and I told him I fell and I'm not sure if it's broken... he immediately drove me to my friend's flat, took my kids home and raced me to the hospital there in Rehab. Not long after arriving, they summoned the doctor from I think home, took three x-rays of my right ankle and we awaited the results... totally fractured in three places! The doctor made a cast, told me to buy a shoe, bear the pain since I was expecting and follow up with my doc when I got back home- I was ordered to wear it for 6 weeks and then have it evaluated further...

We left Cairo the next morning in route home... my husband was a wreck when we arrived for some reason he thought I said my right hand so he was a bit relieved to see it was my ankle... and that everyone in the end, was okay. On the flight home, I was miserable and feeling a little queasy which I NEVER do when I'm pregnant- my husband ALWAYS have my pregnancy symptoms eg: back pain, nausea, vomiting, food cravings, etc... talk about funny! But I couldn't wait to get home, in my house and elevate my feet...my kids were trying to rub it for me to make me feel better while I suffered thru that immense pain- I kept trying to sleep it off.... didn't work.

So we laughed today at exactly how time flies and reminisced about our lovely trip... I can't wait to see her late next month / early February, InshaAllah- may Allah reward her for being a very good sister (Ameen). I can't wait to have henna parties and sleep-overs! (LOL)

Raf, I love ya!

9 comments:

Hijabee said...

Yes time does fly, just few hours ago I called one of my friends and we were talking about the same things, how our life changed so much in just one year. I also think about my other friend who spent the night with us playing Taboo last year on new year's eve and we made so much fun of him and he passed away in june subhanAllah, may Allah grant him Jannah inshAllah.....So many memories, so many things to think about, yet this new year will bring more memories and next year inshALLAH, around this time, I'm sure we will have more memories to share, and who knows, maybe our lives will be so much different Allahu Ahlam....

Empress Anisa said...

Hijabee- isn't it amazing? It's like it was JUST yesterday... so many memories both good and bad to reflect on... and InshaAllah, we all look forward to being at this point again next year if Allah (SWT) spare our lives

Inspired Muslimah said...

Wow sis thats a lot to go though. Im glad your ok and time flies!

Mona Zenhom said...

Ouch! SubhanAllah I know, it seems so recent that we thought the year 2010 was a long ways away and here we are in 2009. Time goes by faster as we get older too. As a kid a year felt like SOO long. InshaAllah this one is a good year.

Empress Anisa said...

Inspired- yeah, I'm okay... ankle didn't heal properly though- after a week I took it off! Hey, I got kids and couldn't function with it on... and right after that, the docs here put another one on- lasted for a week and a half! ;)

Mona- I know I was thinking the same thing... 2010, that's far away- now, it's 11 months from now! And please, don't remind me about the age thing... geesh 40 will be here before I know it! lol
Remember when you were young and 16 "oh, I can't wait to be 18!" then when you were 18 "oh, I can't WAIT to be 21!"... then after you hit 26 the car wouldn't stop moving at hyper speed... but they say 40 is the "new 20"..... lol

Hijabis On Ranting Tour. said...

ohmygod sister i am loving your blog :)
its really cool lol
ok salaamz
nd have a hapi
new yr

Empress Anisa said...

Blabber and ranter.... definitely a unique name, sis! I like.... LOL
Thanks for the compliment and stopping by!

Jannah said...

lol omg you poor thing!! By reading your story i thought you were gonna fall through the bridge and into the waterfall lol

Empress Anisa said...

Jannah... now, you have me picturing it: falling off the bridge into the water fall... that would've been soooooo unbecoming I would've screamed! LOL LOL LOL

I'm a big girl but I thank Allah he made me mega-flexable!