The daily chronicle of my family as we embark on our quest to relocate from New York to Cairo... the impending journey to get there and the daily lives of myself, my husband and our four children... and other random thoughts while living in Cairo!

Looking to make contact with other Muslimahs who are like myself with small children living or will be living in a foreign country.

I invite you to share the experience with us as we try to make this happen!

Friday, December 5, 2008

Change



I was catching up on some reading and alot of them had to do with transitions- good, bad and the unknown... change can be a very overwhelming thing and depending on your strength and outlook towards it, those factors can determine how the outcome will be... so, do you have the constant feeling that your life is miserable? Do you wish you could somehow redo everything? In a sense, you can. I read this excellent article below:


If your life is miserable, you think almost everything about it is bad... you hate your job, you're dissatisfied with the way you look, you're tired of your friends, you're even sick of where you live. In short, life stinks... or does it?

I'm not saying that you can instantly get a happy, problem-free life just by changing your thinking, but you can start to improve things if you'll accept one simple truth- I AM NOT POWERLESS!

As odd as it sounds, sometimes we're comfortable being miserable. I don't mean that we enjoy our misery, but it may be easier to stay in a familiar, bad situation than it is to change. Change takes courage... change takes faith. Most of all, change means venturing into the unknown and that can be even scarier than where you are now, even if your life is miserable where you are now.

When your life is miserable, you begin to approach your individual "misery threshold." This is very similar to your pain threshold. Maybe you have a very high misery threshold and you can go for years and years in a rotten situation... or maybe your misery threshold is much lower and you're jumping in and out of things all the time, hoping life will get better. The ideal is probably somewhere in between. Pain, even spiritual or emotional pain, is a sign that something is wrong. However, life is never perfect and never will be, so all of us have some difficulties we have to learn to live with.

Change is a very scary thing- I have bouts of doubt as I pack my bags to make my move, Inshallah, but then I remind myself- change can be good! Sometimes the most important change is being able to look at things in a new way. I know that when you stop beating yourself up, your life can begin to improve in a dramatic way.

Constructive change requires thought and planning, and we're capable of that. You can do more, be better, and be happier than you've been in the past but the first step is believing, with Allah (SWT) help, that it's possible!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear (read, lol) right now. Jazakillah sis!:)

Inspired Muslimah said...

Yes, I agree with HH, I like this post a lot.Also you have a nice blog here sis.

Empress Anisa said...

Salaam 'Alaikum sisters... yes, sometimes we need are reminder that we have the power to change things... it's all about the effort we put forth to bring about that change.
Inspired, welcome! And thanks for the nice compliment- I tried to make this blog a reflection of me.